Photograph copyright Z V Vasovic.
Born 1956, Bochum, Germany; piano, composer.
Georg Graewe began composing and performing professionally at the age of 15. He has since been leading a variety of ensembles - ranging from trio to chamber orchestra formats - which have involved some of the leading instrumentalists in contemporary music. His compositions, which include chamber music and works for full orchestra as well as scores for films, theatre productions, radio drama and video, have been performed and broadcast around the world.
Graewe has had a long-standing trio with Dutch cellist Ernst Reijseger and US-percussionist Gerry Hemingway since 1989 and has also performed and recorded with Anthony Braxton, Evan Parker, Dave Douglas, Phil Minton, Roscoe Mitchell, Barry Guy, Barre Phillips, Hamid Drake and John Butcher among many others.
Since 2000 he has also written 3 operas. Kopenhagen, his first, (based on the play by Michael Frayn) was produced by OPER KÖLN (CologneOpera House) in 2003. His second opera Quicksilver, a commission by Semperoper Dresden, came out in November 2006 and the most recent, Barbara Strozzi oder die Avantgarde der Liebe was staged by Theater Luzern/Switzerland in 2010 and Oper Bonn/Germany in 2011. His videocantata on Albert Einstein's travel diaries - alle kennen meine visage - was premiered at
the Jewish Museum Berlin in September 2005.
Since 1999 Graewe has been associated with CNMAT (Center for New Music and
Audio Technology) at UC Berkeley. From 2002 to 2007 he taught at Hochschule für Musik HANNS EISLER in Berlin.
In 2010 he curated a series of 27 events that presented different aspects of resonance between music, poetry, visusal arts and science as part of the European Cultural Capital RUHR.2010. A catalogue plus DVD edition
documenting this project has been published on the Random Acoustics label.
Graewe has recently launched his new Sonicfiction Orchestra as part of a 3-day portrait at Vienna's Porgy&Bess in December 2011, recordings from which are being prepared for future release.
Georg Graewe runs the label Random Acoustics.
- 1976, New movements, FMP 0320.
- 1977, Pink Pong, FMP 0480.
- 1978, Who is who?, FMP SAJ-23. The Berlin Jazz Workshop Orchestra.
- 1982, Bergmannsleben, CMP 0018. The GrubenKlangOrchester.
- 1984, Hanns Eisler, AufRuhr 670006. The GrubenKlangOrchester.
- 1987, Six studies for piano solo, WestWind 012.
- 1988/89, Songs and variations, Hat Art CD 6028. Recordings of the GrubenKlangOrchester.
- 1989, Sonic fiction, Hat Art CD 6043/hatOLOGY 638. Gräwe/Reijseger/Hemingway trio.
- 1990, Zwei naechte in Berlin, Sound Aspects 049. Gräwe/Reijseger/Hemingway trio.
- 1991, Piano duets (tuned and detuned pianos), Leo CD LR206/207. Duets with Marilyn Crispell.
- 1991, Klangräume, AufRuhr ART CD 001.
- 1991, The view from points west, Music & Arts, CD-820. Gräwe/Reijseger/Hemingway trio.
- 1991, Duo (Amsterdam) 1991, Okka disk 12018. Gräwe/Braxton duo.
- 1991/92, Chamber works, RA003.
- 1992, Flavours, fragments, ITM Classics 950014. The GrubenKlangOrchester.
- 1992, Spellings, RA001. Marvellous free music from Frisque Concordance.
- 1992, VicissEtudes, RA002. Frank Gratkowski/Georg Gräwe.
- 1993, Flex 27, RA007. Gräwe/Reijseger/Hemingway trio.
- 1994, Spellings, Jazzgalerie Nickelsdorf. Frisque Concordance track on compilation CD.
- 1994, Saturn cycle, Music & Arts CD 958. Gräwe/Reijseger/Hemingway trio.
- 1995, Concert San Francisco 1995 Gedächtnisspuren: 7 klavierstücke, Music & Arts CD 968. Solo.
- 1995, Subsymbolism, Nuscope Recordings CD 1002. Graewe/Mattos/Vatcher.
- 1995, Impressions of Monk, Nuscope Recordings CD 1006. Graewe/Mattos/Vatcher.
- 1996, Live @ Banlieues Bleues, Red Toucan 9306-2. With Joëlle Léandre and François Houle.
- 1996, Concert in Berlin 1996, Wobbly Rail WOB007. Georg Gräwe Quintet.
- 1997, Melodie und rhythmus, Okka disk 12024. Georg Gräwe Quartet.
- 1998, Schz!, Splasc(h) CDH 670.2. Duo with Sebi Tramontana.
- 1998, Light's view, nuscope recordings 1004. Butcher/Graewe duo.
- 1998, Unity variations, Okka disk 12028. Duo with Evan Parker.
- 1999, Other songs, nuscope recordings 1008. Phillips/Graewe/van Bergen.
- 1999, Quicksand, Meniscus MNSCS 007. Frank Gratkowski/Georg Gräwe/Paul Lovens.
- 1999, Counterfactuals, nuscope recordings 1010. Graewe/Reijseger/Hemingway.
- 1999, For trio (16 Fantasiestücke), FMR CD153-i0704.
- 2000, Fantasiestücke I-XIII, nuscope recordings 1014. Solo.
- 2001, Arrears, Red Toucan RT 9320. Gratkowski/Graewe/Lindberg.
- 2005, Continuum, Winter & Winter 910 118-2. Graewe/Reijseger/Hemingway.
- 2006, Clepton, New World Records 80670-2. Earl Howard.
- 2010, grubenklang. reloaded, Random Acoustics Book/DVD.
- 2010, Dortmund variations, nuscope recordings 1026. Duo with Evan Parker.