Photograph copyright Viola Kiefner.
Born in Aberystwyth, Wales in 1971; pedal harp, lever harp, electric harp and electronics.
Rhodri Davies is a harpist who confronts traditional concepts of the harp through his use of preparations, detuned, bowed and e-bowed strings. At the University of Sheffield he gained a BMus (Hons) and at the University of Huddersfield a Masters researching contemporary harp music, where he first experienced free group improvisation. In 1995 he moved to London where he became active on the London improvisation scene and since 2007 lives in Gateshead. He has since performed in Europe, Japan, Canada and America.
As well as solo playing, Davies works closely in duos with John Butcher and Mark Wastell. He also performs with groups that are solely dedicated to free improvisation: The Sealed Knot (with Burkhard Beins and Mark Wastell), CRANC (with Angharad Davies and Nikos Veliotis), SLW (with Toshi Nakamura, Burkhard Beins and Lucio Capece), Common Objects and Rhodri Davies/Lee Patterson/ David Toop.
Much of Davies' work blurs the distinction between composition and improvisation, and he plays with groups that reflect this interest, notably, Apartment House (concentrating on the performance of graphic scores and works by composers such as Cardew) and a trio with Michael Duch and John Tilbury.
In 2008 he collaborated with the visual artist Gustav Metzger on 'Self-Cancellation', a large-scale audio-visual collaboration in London and Glasgow. He also builds wind, water and fire harp installations.
He has in the past been a member of IST (with Mark Wastell and Simon Fell) Chris Burn's Ensemble, Derek Bailey's Company, Evan Parker's string project and No Spaghetti Edition.
As a concert promoter he co-ran with Mark Wastell the series of concerts 'All Angels'. Some of the music played there can be heard on The All Angels Concerts 1999-2001 CD on the Emanem label. He has been hosting the concert series 'Haus Konzert' since 2004.
Article by Rhodri Davies
Davies, Rhodri (2001). Inside the narrative. Avant, (March), pp. 34-35. The full text of this article discussing the range of John Butcher's music can be read on this site.
- 1995, Anagrams to avoid, SIWA #3 LP. IST.
- 1997, Consequences (of time and place), Front 04. IST.
- 1997, Navigations, Acta 12. Chris Burn's Ensemble.
- 1997, Pure water construction, Discus 11CD.
- 1997/1998, Ghost notes, Bruce's Fingers BF 28. IST.
- 1997/1998, Strings with Evan Parker, Emanem 4302.
- 1998, Composition No. 30: Compilation III, Bruce's Fingers BF 27.
- 1998, Assumed possibilities, Confront FRONT 05.
- 1998, Malthouse, 2:13CD010. Duo with John Bisset.
- 1999, Company in Marseille, Incus CD44/45. Company.
- 1999, Grounded not bottomed, artpartout CDR. John Bisset/Rhodri Davies/Marcus Heesch.
- 1999, Proceedings, Emanem 4201. London Improvisers Orchestra.
- 1999, Spectral soprano, Emanem 4204. One track by London Improvisers Orchestra on this Lol Coxhill CD.
- 1999, All Angels, Edo E-07. Cranc.
- 1999-2000, Cue sheets II, Tzadik 7513. Steve Beresford; Davies on two tracks.
- 2000, The sealed knot, Confront FRONT 06. Beins/Davies/Wastell.
- 2000, The hearing continues..., Emanem 4203. London Improvisers Orchestra.
- 2000, Relay eight, 2:13 Music CD011.
- 2000, Vortices and angels, Emanem 4049. Duo with John Butcher.
- 2000, The first two gigs, Emanem 4063. Burn/Butcher/Davies/Edwards.
- 2000, Davies/Rombola/Davis/Wastell, Confront FRONT 10. London Preservation Series.
- 2001, Cornelius Cardew: chamber music 1955–64, Matchless MRCD45. Apartment House; RD on two tracks.
- 2001, Total Music Meeting 2001: Audiology - 11 groups live in Berlin, A/L/L002. One track by IST on this compilation CD.
- 2001, Still point, Rossbin RS007. Assumed possibilities.
- 2001, Horizontals white, Emanem 4080. Chris Burn Ensemble.
- 2001, Trem, Confront 11. Solo.
- 2001, Surface/plane, Meniscus MNSCS 012. The Sealed Knot.
- 2002, London duos and trios, Intakt CD 081. Hans Koch.
- 2002, Done, Quakebasket Qb 24. Broken consort.
- 2002, Ensemble at Musica Genera 2002, Musica Genera mg006. Chris Burn's Ensemble.
- 2002, Ieirll, Qbico 31. Rhodri Davies/Ingar Zach.
- 2002, Lodi, Confront Collectors Series CCS5. IST.
- 2002-2005, Composition No. 62: Compilation IV, BF57. Simon H. Fell.
- 2003, Real time satellite data, SOFA 513. No Spaghetti Edition.
- 2003, Life is O.K., My Giant Mum MGM-002.
- 2003, Freedom of the city 2003: small groups, Emanem 4212.
- 2003, Never give up on the margins of logic, ANTIOPIC AN006. Sakada.
- 2003, Caressed on the brow by unseen hands, L'Innomable. Mark Wastell.
- 2003/4, Heritage and ringtones, Discus 18CD. Martin Archer.
- 2003/4, HHHH, Unsounds U10. The Cortet.
- 2004, Over shadows, Confront 16. Solo.
- 2004, London strings, absinthRecords 004. Angharad Davies/Rhodri Davies/Phil Durrant/Mark Wastell.
- 2004, Moksha or mocca, DUNS Limited edition 038. Paul Dunmall/Paul Rogers/Philip Gibbs/Rhodri Davies.
- 2004, Unwanted object, Confront Collectors Series CCS1. The Sealed Knot.
- 2004, Amber, Creative sources CS 031. Rhodri Davies/Robin Hayward/Julia Eckhardt/Lucio Capece
- 2004, Recorded delivery, Confront Collectors Series CCS4. Graham Halliwell.
- 2005, Otomo Yoshihide/Rhodri Davies/Sachiko M, LMC Members Series 1.
- 2005, Music + one, Rastascan BRD 054. One track on this 'improvisation compendium'.
- 2005, Cwymp y dwr ar ganol dydd, Confront Collectors Series CCS6. Traw/RD.
- 2005, Spin networks, psi 07.05. fORCH.
- 2005, Equals, psi 08.02. FURT plus.
- 2005, Live in Melbourne, mikroton cd 10. Rhodri Davies/Mark Wastell.
- 2006, 2006 Duos, Emanem 4137. Terry Day.
- 2006, Compositions for harp and sho, Hibari Music 09. Rhodri Davies/Ko Ishikawa.
- 2006, Core Anode, meenna 332. Otomo Yoshihide.
- 2006, Wunderkammern, Another timbre at36. Rhodri Davies/Lee Patterson/David Toop.
- 2007, Hum, Another timbre at04. Rhodri Davies/Matt Davis/Samantha Rebello/Bechir Saade.
- 2007, And we disappear, Another timbre at23. The Sealed Knot.
- 2007, SLW, Organized Music from Thessaloniki #07. SLW.
- 2007, Positions & descriptions, Clean Feed CF230CD. SFE.
- 2007/8, Carliol, ftarri-220. John Butcher/Rhodri Davies.
- 2008, Twrf neus ciglau, Creative sources CS 156. Rhodri Davies/Stéphane Rives/Ernesto Rodrigues/Guilherme Rodrigues/Carlos Santos.
- 2008, Kravis Rhonn Project, Another timbre at15. Annette Krebs/Rhodri Davies.
- 2008, Dark architecture, Another timbre at-b02. Max Eastley/Rhodri Davies.
- 2008, Copper fields, absurd #82/Organized Music from Thessaloniki #09. Cranc.
- 2008/9, Cornelius Cardew Works 1960-70, +3db012. Tilbury/Duch/Davies.
- 2009, Bricolage, Al Maslakh Recordings 12. Muta.
- 2009, Midhopestones, Another timbre at19. Rhodri Davies/Michel Doneda/Louisa Martin/Phil Minton/Lee Patterson.
- 2011, Divisions that could be autonomous but that comprise the whole, Another timbre at44. James Saunders. Rhodri Davies on one track.
- 2011, Just not cricket! Three days of British improvised music in Berlin, NI-VU-NI-CONNU nvnc-lp001/004. Tom Arthurs/Steve Beresford/Tony Bevan/Matthew Bourne/Gail Brand/Lol Coxhill/Rhodri Davies/John Edwards/Shabaka Hutchings/Dominic Lash/Phil Minton/Eddie Prévost/Orphy Robinson/Mark Sanders/Alex Ward/Trevor Watts.