Photograph by Rikkard Häggbom.
Born Stockholm, 1956; drums, percussion.
Raymond Strid started to play the drums relatively late. As he had become addicted to listening to music, sometimes spending eight ours a day in front of the stereo, he was encouraged to start playing himself (and to this day, he is still a dedicated listener and audiophile). With no musical background he thought the drums would be the easiest instrument to learn. He was particularly inspired by some of the European master drummers like Han Bennink, Paul Lytton and Tony Oxley.
Strid's first concert was 30 September 1977 and he subsequently performed in a variety of local groups in Stockholm. In 1988 he formed the Swedish trio GUSH together with Mats Gustafsson and Sten Sandell. From that point work has also included a wide number of groupings and projects such as Guy/Gustafsson/Strid (Tarfala Trio), Crispell/Jormin/ Strid and the free jazz trio LSB (Fredrik Ljungkvist and Johan Berthling). The Electrics (Axel Dörner, Sture Ericson and Ingebrigt Flaten (Joe Williamson replacing Flaten in 2011)) was formed in 2000 and that same year he became a member of the Barry Guy New Orchestra.
Since mid-2000 he has been collaborating with Joëlle Léandre in different settings, for example, with Canadian clarinetist François Houle and Danish saxophonist Lotte Anker. Trespass Trio (Martin Küchen and Per Zanussi) have been recording and touring since 2007 sometimes with special guest Joe McPhee. In 2008 the Swedish group, Kege Snö, was formed - Strid also working in duo with the quartet's multi reed player, Roland Keiser - and he also became a member of the Yun Kan 10 (Fredrik Ljunkvist Tentett). In 2012, Strid became a member of 30-piece Fire! Orchestra. Other main collaborations, up to 2015, include: a Trio with John Russell and Mats Gustafsson, a trio with Henrik Nørstebø and Nina De Heney and the Feed Trio with Magnus Andersson, classical guitar and Mats Gustafsson playing music composed for the trio by contemporary composers.
Raymond Strid works constantly with occasional ad-hoc groups and temporary meetings. He has been touring and participating regularly at major improvisation festivals in Europe and North America. He also considers that, since around 2005, his playing moves stylistically between free improvisation and free jazz, sometimes mixing the two. Raymond Strid also teaches improvisation, methods and aesthetics.
Gustafsson, M., Hultberg, E., and Millroth, T. (n.d.), Solo improvisation & interpretation: essays. Almföf Edition. 48pp. ISBN 91 9719 200 7. Strid on p. 15.
Hult, Harald (1995). Raymond Strid blindfold. Gränslöst, no. 2. (in Swedish)
O'Driscol, Declan (1998). Raymond Strid interview. Rubberneck, 27 (June).
Holmberg, Gunnar (2006). Raymond Strid: Har hittat sin egen trumstil. DIG no.1, 2006. http://www.digmusic.se/Artiklar.Raymond%20Strid.html (in Swedish)
Grip, Lars (2010). Interview: Raymond Strid. Orkester Journalen, no. 5. (in Swedish)
- 1988, Now or never, Bauta Rec BAR 8803. Sten Sandell.
- 1989, Tjo och tjim, Dragon DRLP192. Gush and Sven-Åke Johansson.
- 1989, Sounds: Contemporary Swedish improvised music, Blue Tower records BTLP 01/02.
- 1990, From things to sounds, Dragon DRCD 204. Gush
- 1991, Far from equilibrium, Alice Musik Production ALCD 007. Duo with Paul Pignon.
- 1993, muntmunt, Blue Tower records BTCD04. Christian Munthe.
- 1994, Spring tour, Alice Musik Production ALCD 013. Crispell/Jormin/Strid.
- 1994, Gushwachs, Bead CD002. Gush and Phil Wachsmann.
- 1994/1995, You forget to answer, Maya MCD 9601. Guy/Gustafsson/Strid.
- 1996, gryffgryffgryffs, Music & Arts CD-1003. Guy, Gustafsson, Strid, Crispell.
- 1996, Live at Fasching, Dragon DRCD 313. Gush.
- 1996, Live in Tampere, Dragon DRCD 327. Gush.
- 1996, Electric eel, QBICO 30. Gush.
- 1997, Hidros one (1997), Caprice 21566.
- 1998, Die harke und der spaten, Umlaut Records UMFR-CD04. Sven-Åke Johansson.
- 1998, Scratch match, Penumbra CD009. Duo with Michael Zerang.
- 1999, Sounds 99, Blue Tower Records BTCD 09/10/11.
- 2000, Inscape - Tableaux, Intakt CD 066. Barry Guy New Orchestra.
- 2000, Walk, stop, look and walk, Crazy Wisdom 004. LSB.
- 2000, Chain of accidents, Ayler Records aylCD-035. The Electrics.
- 2000, Here there, Fylkingen FYSP 1005. Lehn - Strid. vinyl 7".
- 2000, Pipeline. Corbett vs. Dempsey CvsD CD 010. Pipeline.
- 2001, Two days in December, Wobbly Rail WOB-012. Ken Vandermark.
- 2002, Bulbs, Slamcd 250. Unsolicited Music Ensemble.
- ?, 25th NWM, Ninth World Music NWM0 25 CD. One track on compilation CD.
- 2003, Gush 25, No label. Gush.
- 2003, Tidszon, Creative sources CS 014. UNSK.
- 2003, Fungus, moserobie CD014. LSB.
- 2003, In winds, in light, ECM 981 1231 (ECM 1866). Anders Jormin.
- 2003, Norrköping, Atavistic ALP161CD. Gush.
- 2004, Oort-Entropy, Intakt CD 101. Barry Guy New Orchestra.
- 2004, Moserobie Jazz Manifesto, Moserobie CDBOX 01. LSB on this compilation box.
- 2005, Live at the Glenn Miller Café, Ayler Records aylCD-034. The Electrics.
- 2006, Free The Jazz Free The Jazz Discs FREE#1. Eric Oscarsson and the Perspectives.
- 2006, Live at the Glenn Miller Café, Ayler aylDL-054. Martin Küchen Trio. Available only as a digital download.
- 2006, 9 moments, Red Toucan 9333. Houle/Léandre/Strid.
- 2006, Tarfala, Maya Recordings MCD0801. Guy/Gustafsson/Strid.
- 2007, Beam stone, psi 09.02. Nilsson/Sandell/Strid.
- 2007, "...was there to illuminate the night sky...", Clean Feed CF149CD. Trespass Trio.
- 2008/9, Yellow bell, Umlaut Records UMLÅDA2. Duo with Roland Keijser.
- 2009, Last seen headed, Ayler Records AYLCD-096. Joëlle Léandre/François Houle/Raymond Strid.
- 2009, Discus and plumbing, Peira records PM11. Lonberg-Holm/Strid Duo.
- 2009, Wazifa, psi 10.04. Thomas/Strid/Thomas.
- 2009, Kege Snö, Umlaut Records umcd0010.
- 2009, Syzygy, No Business Records NBLP35. Tarfala Trio.
- 2009, Härlig är jorden, TrilobitCD01. Gösta Rundkvist.
- 2010, Mad dogs, Not Two 902-2 (5CD set). Barry Guy New Orchestra small formations.
- 2010, Mats Gustafsson/Raymond Strid - RIIS and the Smooth Ones ---- Hockey, Gaffer Records split 10" vinyl.
- 2011, Bruder Beda, Clean Feed CF251CD. Trespass Trio.
- 2011, Birds, dEN Records dEN 008. Mats Gustafsson/John Russell/Raymond Strid.
- 2012, Exit!, Rune Grammofon RCD 2138. Fire! Orchestra.
- 2012, Fylkingen, ILK Music ILK208LP. The Electrics.
- 2012, THE ÄGG, Found You Recordings FYR026LP-IS07. THE ÄGG.
- 2012, Human encore, Clean Feed CF269CD. Trespass Trio + Joe McPhee.
- 2012, Mad dogs on the loose, Not Two 925-2 (4CD set). Barry Guy New Orchestra small formations.
- 2012, Ten, Hoob Records HOOBCD035. Fredrik Ljungkvist Yun Kan 10.
- 2013, Amphi - Radio rondo, Intakt CD 235. Barry Guy New Orchestra.
- 2013, The march, Konvoj Records KOR005. Gush.
- 2014, Enter, Rune Grammofon RCD 2158. Fire! Orchestra.
- 2014, Oslo/Wien, Va Fongool VAFCD014. Henrik Munkeby Nørstebø/Raymond Strid/Nina De Heney.
- 2014, Voice & percussion, Creative sources CS 334. Andreas Backer/Raymond Strid.